Monday, July 9, 2012

Human...yes...I am

Having a very human experience this morning. Spent most of my time at the KC Metaphysical fair this past weekend, volunteering. Can I just tell you how much in awe of these people I am? From everyone behind the scenes to everyone who did vending...just an incredible wealth of talent and ability. Not to mention gifted. Wow. Inspiring. I met a few people who I ended up discussing the book with. Words of wisdom from them..."don't get frustrated and don't give up"...."This is an important book, with the promise to have far reaching consequences"...."You are being the catalyst for change."... So many gracious, kind words and thoughts for me and my project. But, here's where I'm having the problem. Words are not going to get this book into publication. Words are not going to get me on a research trip, so that I can go collect photos, interviews and facts. Words encourage. I'm grateful for the encouraging...but I need the funding. Which brings me to my human experience. It's more of a realization...people are people. They will fight for and fund what they believe in. They will not necessarily fund things that don't: A. Immediately benefit them. B. Get their name and their passions out in the public eye. C. Help to fund something conservation based. "C" really gets me. If we were down to 2 mating pairs of Bald Eagles, there would be a mass investing of funds to help save the eagles. There would be fundraisers, telethons, etc... Why not the salmon? Is it because they are fish? Is it because they aren't "sexy"? Is it because the world has given up on trying to save the environment? *hrm* Not sure. But it's given me pause. And fuel. Light the burners, this rocket is about to go off....

No comments:

Post a Comment